Friday 27 August 2010

Five bridge kayak





I noticed at one that the kayak settled a little lower in the water than last year. 'Fat man kayaking' I muttered under my breath as I launched myself into the river Adur at the Emerald Quay public hard. Setting a brisk pace upstream I was soon under the first bridge which was Shoreham footbridge. The second bridge was the Norfolk bridge and the third was the one pictured above. Not the prettiest of bridges, this iron railway bridge rumbles nicely as a train goes over it. The old toll bridge quickly followed and finally I was under the great concrete and steel behemoth that is the Shoreham flyover.




The wind blowing down the Adur valley had impeded my progress upstream but assisted me on the return journey. On Coronation Green the people of Shoreham were enjoying the continental market.
Just before I reached the end of my paddle I passed the Shoreham life boat and the Fisheries vessel. Today these boats were open to the public who were eagerly clambering over them.

No comments:

Post a Comment